Caretakers of the past, stewards of the future
The Phoenix church
St. Mary’s Church was built in 1858 to serve the Catholic residents in the nearby mining community of Cliff, scene of the area’s first major copper discovery in 1844. Services continued until 1899 when the church was dismantled and reassembled in Phoenix, where it was renamed The Church of the Assumption. Masses were held until 1957, when the last service marked a century of providing spiritual guidance to mining families and their descendants.
(Photo: The Blessing of the Pets is an annual event at the Phoenix Church.)
In 1985 the Keweenaw County Historical Society took over the property and began extensive repair and restoration work. The church now appears much as it did when folks from another century knelt in prayer, a fitting memorial to one chapter of Keweenaw’s proud heritage. Although now deconsecrated, the church is still used for weddings and memorial services.
(Photo: A Memorial Mass is held at the church each September.)
Visiting the Phoenix Church
Hours & Admission- The Phoenix Church is open from mid-June to early October. The 2021 closing date expected is Sunday, October 10th. Hours are 9 AM - 5 PM daily. There is no admission charge for this museum, however a donation is appreciated.
2021 Special Events- Blessing of the Animals-Sunday, July 18, 1 to 3 pm EDT Open House-Sunday, August 22, 1 to 3 pm EDT Annual Mass-Sunday, September 5, 1:30 pm EDT
Location- The church is located on US Highway 41 in Phoenix, Michigan, at the junction of M-26 to Eagle River. GPS: N 47 23.354 W 88 16.587, Decimal Degrees:47.389230, -88.27645
KCHS museum sites and the cottage rentals are open for the 2021 season, except the Bammert Blacksmith Shop which is closed for repairs. See the museum sites’ webpages for closing dates and hours.