Keweenaw County Historical Society

Caretakers of the past, stewards of the future


Exploring Central
Historic Photos of Central

There are several organizations in the Keweenaw that have collections of historic Copper Country photos, including the Keweenaw National Historical Park, Michigan Technological University Archives – Copper Country Historical Collection, The Keweenaw County Historical Society, Houghton County Historical Society, etc. It is not unusual to see the same historic image in several different collections. Except where noted the following images are from the KCHS archives. Some are noted as belonging to the MTU- Copper Country Historical Collection. None of these images may be used for any purpose without explicit permission from the organization that manages that image.

This is a photo album of some historic photos of Central. Click on any of the photos to see a larger image with a caption for the image. Use the arrows that will appear on the screen next to the images to move through the album.

20 photo(s) Updated on: 25 Jan 2019
  • The Central Mine Coronet Band (KCHS)
  • Inside the Catholic Church at Central. (KCHS)
  • The Catholic Church at Central. (KCHS)
  • Remains of the Central Mine man-engine bobs at the No. 4 shaft.
  • The abandoned Central Meat Market, ca 1910 (KCHS)
  • Central Miners near Shaft No. 2 ca 1895 (KCHS)
  • Looking east on what is now Stagecoach Road towards Shaft No. 2 (KCHS)
  • No. 4 Engine House at the top of the hill, ca 1910 (KCHS)
  • An abandoned home at Central ca 1910 (KCHS)
  • Classic overview of Central ca 1896 (KCHS)
  • Classic Overview of Central ca 1896 (KCHS)
  • The 1923 Central Reunion (KCHS)
  • An early Central Reunion (KCHS)
  • A view from the Methodist Church back towards the mine.(KCHS)
  • The school at Central stood uphill from the townsite (KCHS)
  • The Stamp Mill at Central as it looked ca 1922. (MTU-CCHC)
  • The Stamp Mill at Central as it looked ca 1922. (MTU-CCHC)
  • By 1921 much of Central had disappeared (MTU-CCHC)
  • Alfred Nicolls was a miner at Central who later became principal of the school
  • Looking from the mine towards the school and Methodist church. (KCHS)

Keweenaw County Historical Society
670 Lighthouse Road Eagle Harbor
Mohawk, MI 49950
All content copyright © 2010-2025

KNHP logoWe are proud to be a Keweenaw National Historical Park Heritage Site.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software