Become a KCHS Volunteer
We Need You !
The Keweenaw County Historical Society, KCHS, is a volunteer organization. We have no paid staff but we do reward our volunteers with an annual Volunteer Appreciation Party. Our success is almost entirely attributable to the men and women who volunteer their talents and time in the interest of preserving and sharing the exciting history of the Keweenaw. Some of our volunteers are permanent residents of the area, but many are seasonal residents and vacationers. All are captivated by the richness and diversity of the Copper Country history and enjoy joining with others who share their historical interest. We find being a Society volunteer to be a great opportunity to both learn more about our history as well as taking pleasure in the knowledge that we are engaged in something of great worth. Please join us!
Our volunteer opportunities
We have many different ways in which you can serve the KCHS and enjoy bringing the history of the Keweenaw to others:
- Volunteering for duty in the Eagle Harbor Lighthouse complex, the Gay School Museum, the Central Mine Visitors Center, and/or the Eagle River Museum to greet visitors and assist in their tour of the site or museum.
- Assisting in developing and the offering of our Adventures in History workshops for students and adults.
- Helping with exhibit development. museum management, and building and site operation and maintenance.
- Writing articles for our newsletter, The Superior Signal, or serving as a reporter or photographer for that publication or our web site.
- Assisting with fund-raising and grant sourcing and grant application writing.
- Serving on one of the Society’s several museum, site and special project committees.
If you are interested in serving as a volunteer in any capacity, or want to learn more about what’s involved, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Ginny Schubert-
Phone: (906) 289 4607
or contact any Society officer or trustee.